Friday 31 December 2010

Sewn Favourites from 2010

Here in Sydney we've had the 9pm fireworks, the midnight fireworks are approaching and 2010 is nearly over.  My resolutions for the new year are ready, so it's time to review 2010 and show you a couple of my never-been-blogged sewn favourites for the year. In no particular order then...

... let's start with this. This top was made on a whim when I saw and purchased some glorious fabric in a Tessuti fabric store - it's a textured Japanese cotton with a reasonable weight to it. The pattern is a mixture: I used the bodice and neckline from Vogue 1013 (a DKNY pattern, made up in the black dress shown here), and the puffy folded sleeves are from pattern 129 from the 09/2009 Burda magazine (adjusted up from petite size, with extra pleats folded in). This top is one of my favourite work tops and can be worn tucked in or out. 

 
Next up, a floppy but beloved first ever (and not quite Gucci-esque) handbag; made using a small piece of loose woven cotton from No Chintz in Sydney, with a layer of wadding then some interfaced thin cotton. The pattern for this came from Ric Rac's blog, but I had to have a shorter strap as I didn't have much fabric at all. If I make a bag again I'll know to use something stiffer than wadding.










Here's a "vintage" jersey t-shirt: just a grey knit, but made from a rather fetching vintage pattern - this success may be why I persist with making jersey versions of patterns for wovens... I love pleats in a knit, I love kimono shaped sleeves, and I love wearing this with whatever:


 

 
Advance pattern 4178 for a woven top and skirt

And here's the 2010 clothing that was most appreciated by someone else (my daughter in this case) - a birthday outfit of a pale pink Simplicity pattern 7211 pinafore with a pretty pink floral cotton blouse from a Japanese pattern book (style C, from the Girls Style Book shown below). This fabric was from Lincraft.  I know this outfit is a particular favourite because my daughter is still trying to wear it in the heat of our summer! 




 

Nothing very complex in there, but maybe that's why they worked out :-)

Happy new year and I hope that 2011 is great for sewing!

4 comments:

  1. Happy New Year Gabrielle!
    Your daughter's outfit is very cute, I'm not surprised she loves it so much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Carolyn, it's a bit PINK for me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello, I've just discovered your blog and there are so many cool things! The Japanese fabric top and grey jersey tunic are terrific, I'm inspired :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Cecili, that's very kind of you! I get inspired by everyone else's blogs too - e.g. all your lovely Japanese pattern sewing!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...