So - this is a dress that I bought from a small vintage dress shop in Lismore called The Black Angel (not currently online, but the owner was seeking advice as how to set up an online shop, so look out for it) which had a rack of mostly 1950s and on dresses. This green silk dress is the one that really caught my eye. It felt a bit tight when I tried it on but the zip coped and the seam allowances looked generous - so I bought it.
BUT while I was checking out the seam allowances, look what I found (and yes, in case you're wondering, this little surprise did mean a discount on the original price):
A total mess! Someone had hacked out the lining - chop, chop! I guess the dress got a little tight for the previous owner and this was their quick solution.
Evidently the dress needs to be completely relined. Some of the stitching around the facings for the neckline and sleeves is also coming undone.
I'd like to see if I can let out side seams without leaving stitch marks behind too.
And there are some stains down the front and around the neckline, so the dress needs some kind of a bath: