Tuesday 16 October 2012

Classic Linen...

Linen is a classic look, isn't it, and so is navy with cream... perhaps a bit boring for some tastes, but definiteley useful in the me-made wardrobe. So here is a new maybe combination but more likely separation of linen pants and linen-cotton mix jersey top:



Quite hard to photograph together with the top so white bright and the pants so inky dark!


The top is made from V1310, the relatively recent Chado Ralph Rucci pattern (the one with the photo of a severe looking model in a column-like burgandy skirt and loose white top). After my recent ooh-this-feels-too-tight issues in a "semi-fitted" Vogue size 12-graded-to-14 dress, the ultra loose fit of this (also "semi-fitted") size 14 Vogue top was unexpected, although I guess part of that may be down to my fabrics.

tucked up hem

free hem
The top is cut on the bias, and the pattern calls for a bias-cut self-lining, but that would have been too hot - besides, I only had a single metre of this fabric, and it had turned itself from a neat rectangle of fabric to a wonky trapezium in the wash. So facings is all I could do.

Being cut on the bias, my neckline was very keen to stretch out. I tamed it with narrow transparent elastic, the sort I usually sew into the shoulder seams of knit tops, and made it very slightly gathered. I topstitched the facings in place with a sliver of facing showing all the way around to give the neckline a decorative edge, but I don't think you can really see it...

spot the serger tension error!

Time: About 2-3 hours

Cost: $12 all up: fabric about $12 on sale at Lincraft; sewing and serger thread $0 (already used in other projects); pattern $0 (second use); and elastic $0 (leftovers).

*****************


The pants have been lying around as an UFO in my sewing area for ages...  I'm sure they were originally ironed and carefully draped somewhere for attention "soon", but by the time I got back to them they were a scrunched up mess. A happy surprise amongst the crumples - the fly was finished, top stitched, and even nicely basted together to wait for the waistband to get sewn on. When I tried them on I remembered why they had become a UFO - they got too tight midway through the sewing! They should hopefully get a bit looser in the near future... if I get myself out of this chair and do some exercise :-)


No, but seriously, that's the best looking view of the pants! And the colour is about right.

With my camera sitting on a chair on the coffee table in the middle of this room, I am getting some leg foreshortening happening and I do not like it:

 

Anyway, you can see that they nearly fit me already (and I only did the getting out of the chair part so far!) and that the stripe matching is OK.  I had to change tops because my camera wasn't coping.

I've made these pants before (here in grey wool and here in black stretchy stuff) because the pattern (V1098, an Anne Klein pants and jacket pattern - ooh and I made the jacket in yummy turquoise cashmere a while back) seems to generally fit, and is one that's easily taken out or run in along the side seams. And I've got to the point now where I just grade the waistband up or down to fit the width I've sewn the pants :-).

Here you can see the details: belt carriers, a neat fly, waistband drafted to fit and cut to match the stripes as well as possible on the curve:




And the sign apparently means Beware of the Dog!

Time: I don't know - too long!
Cost: About $30: fabric a lovely big remnant from Tessuti - call it $25; sewing thread $3; pattern $0 (fourth use); 2 buttons $0 (part of a vintage buttons gift); and zip $2 from a little local haberdashery.

*****************

Has anyone else been having troubles with Blogger lately?  I've been struggling to sign in for about a month (this is a known problem in the Blogger forums but the solutions haven't worked for me to date, so I'm using a strange workaround) - but worse still, over the past week I've found I can't reply to comments! Please accept my sincere apologies for what certainly may look like rudeness. On the subject of replies though I read in a Blogger forum that many people reply to comments by emailing the commenter directly - is that right? Is that what works?

Anyway, thank you very much for reading my ramblings, and if you do comment I will TRY to reply.. .

7 comments:

  1. So far no blogger problems lately...knock on wood!
    I love your linen outfit, I love navy blue and white. For me it's always a classic and looks sharp but not too formal just about anywhere. Great outfit for a warm climate!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well if you don't want to get all the problems I've been getting - I suggest you avoid Mozilla! Very annoying... but I am so excited to discover I can sign in and comment and reply to comments via IE that I am going to have to do a long-ish reply :-).

      Thanks for commenting, and for commenting so regularly! I'm glad I'm not the only one that loves navy blue and white. The pants are a bit snug though, as I'm sure you could see :-0. I tell myself I'm trying to exercise to fit the clothes I made (or cut out, like these pants) last year but it is hard to stay motivated... and unfortunately I think chocolate will also need to leave me alone for a while.

      Delete
  2. Navy and white is such a classic combination. A great outfit that I am sure you will get a lot of use out of.

    The only problem I have with blogger is that I can't get my pattern reviews to show for some reason.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your trousers look absolutely terrific. Gorgeous fabric and the colour looks to be useful as well as chic.
    Good luck with Vogue 1309!
    I haven't had any problems with blogger, but I cannot comment on WP lately, apparently my comments are going to spam.
    As for replying to comments; I go to their blog to do so; since I never revisit a comment section on someone else's blog myself to see if there is a reply to my comment on their blog or not! I don't have the time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm happy that you commented on my blog as I like your sewing style. I put away my Vogue one piece project as I too made the pant part a little too small, I will try again in the Spring. I like the classic look of navy & cream & your pants too.
    I had blogger issues last year & had to completely remove my blog & start new! Some of my photographs did not make it to the new blog but at least some of the posts did. I wish you luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You probably know that I love linen, so your pants are awesome in my book. The are beautifully sewn and in a classic color like navy, they will be so versatile. The top looks fresh and cool. Great outfit!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great outfit. I love white linen knits. I've accumulated quite a collection. Pants look lovely too.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...