Tuesday 24 April 2012

V1282 Donna Karan Fitted Skirt + A Winner

The weekend before last I did some proper sewing.  I made a new Vogue Donna Karan skirt!


This is a very fitted skirt... VERY fitted! But it doesn't feel overly tight on. This is a straight size 14 - my usual Vogue skirt size... the waist is generous and elasticated so you can pull the skirt over your hips without having to trouble with the tedium of a zipper :-)



My first thought on trying this on was "sausage skin".  But that was unkind to the skirt, which is really quite lovely! And although it's snug, the cut fits better than those snug stretchy skirts in the shops.



Despite the Donna Karan moniker, this was not a particularly onerous sewing task. And have I mentioned it's really comfortable? No? Not yet?


There are pleats and tucks, but they don't take too long! 

 

I made just one (unintentional) design change - somehow I thought there was supposed to be a contrast panel down the back! Turns out I like it. In any event to fit the pattern onto my (cotton elastane) fabric I had to cut the back piece out upside down, and my fabric had distinctly different sides. It's not too obvious a contrast, and it may even trick the eye of the beholder into noticing the vertical lines rather than the contours on the horizon!

Oh - but you can't even see it in this photo:


This shows the contrast better:

back (before hemming)
front (before hemming)
You can see it here too (thanks kids - how about a photography course for your birthdays?):



And even though this was a straightforward piece of sewing, I learnt something... Hong Kong seam finishing!

 

I simplified the job a little from the instructions. Instead of making my own bias binding from leftover skirt fabric (which didn't sound like a fun way of playing with stretch fabric) I used some black cotton bias binding I already had - and sewed it on while slightly stretching the skirt fabric with the hope it should have enough give when the skirt fabric stretches.



Why did I put this off for so long? It looks so neat - and it was easy too!

So if you've been considering this skirt, I say go for it! It's snug but comfortable, straightforward to make, and you can choose whether or not to flaunt your curves by the length of top you wear with it.

******************************************************

Finally, for those of you waiting to hear, the winner of my pattern giveaway is Bernice. Thank you to those who took part, and congratulations Bernice! V8554 and V1236 will be wending their way north shortly - and I'll be contacting some runners up to see if they're still willing to provide homes for the other patterns.  

12 comments:

  1. It's a great basic with a bit of a twist. Very flattering too! I like your HKG seams. I've never tried them before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karin! But - full disclosure - it's not so good with me in a short top :-( I think you should try Hong Kong seams then! They look so swish but are so easy to do!

      Delete
  2. Looks like this will quickly become a favourite skirt for you. Great work, and love the Hong Kong seams - makes the inside look fantastic....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Doobee - hope so! Yes, those Hong Kong seams are a good thing; I mostly don't let you guys see the inside of my sewing attempts!

      Delete
  3. OOOH I love this. It turned out so much better than my version. I think I chose the wrong fabric. After seeing yours, I will have to try again in another fabric.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Katherine! But I love yours - yours was the one that made me put this pattern to the top of the sewing list! I'll look forward to seeing your version 2 anyway...

      Delete
  4. Very nice skirt on you. It's definitely NOT sausage casing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Meli88a... the sausage casing effect was definitely more pronounced on the tummy area but I'm very glad to hear it's not noticeable worn like this!

      Delete
  5. Great looking skirt. This pattern has turned out to be very wearable for a lot of different body types. Not what I thought when I first saw it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very pretty skirt! I love the longer length. Thansk for commenting on my blog, too. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...