Here's what it looks like:
|an average looking cowl|
|side on is at best not good...|
|and sometimes very puffy!|
This pinned version shows you what I thought was going to fix it up - the photos are telling me otherwise:
|pinning some of the puffy drape into the under-bust seam|
|the puff creeps out to the sides|
|bust puff be gone!|
I also only had 1m, whereas the pattern needed 1.2m. To fit the pattern pieces I added a horizontal seam in the back at around shoulder blade height (yes, that is a strange idea and not necessarily one that looks good) and I narrowed the neckline drape somewhat. Perhaps these changes played a part in this little disaster. I also used a long zipper from just below the neckline to just above the waist instead of a back opening and shorter zipper - but I don't think this was an issue.
Of course it looks better on the dummy!
I don't know that I will be fixing this... I am curious to see how it would fare in a knit, but I may not get to that particular experiment - too many other exciting patterns to try out!
PS Don't forget - you have until midnight Sydney time to enter my Vogue pattern giveaway. And if none of those patterns appeal, over the next few weeks I'm planning a few more sewing pattern giveaways - part one year celebration, part enjoyable declutter - so stay tuned!