Tuesday 8 February 2011

Tailored Boy's Shorts from Patrones Ninos

Here are some black linen tailored shorts I've just finished for my son - too late for the heatwave, but who could sew when it was so hot for so long?





Perfect for jumping in, apparently!

The pattern is number 13 from Patrones Ninos 288, made in a size 6 width and size 8 length.

I can't read Spanish and the pattern instructions (as you can see above) looked brief, so I didn't bother trying to translate but just looked at existing RTW shorts and followed David Coffin's general approach to trouser making and his details for making a proper fly (and I did better this time around than for my trousers :-)). The only conscious change I made was to add pleats in the front to narrow the waist for my string bean -  otherwise I think my shorts look pretty much like the pattern.  There was one pattern piece left over at the end (a rectangular piece that isn't a waistband or pocket flap - left of the shorts in the pic below).  I suppose it wasn't essential...


The fabric is a lightweight black linen from Tessuti fabrics, left over from a UFO dress started a few months ago. 

It's hard to see what the shorts look like when they're jumping about, so here they are laid flat:

front view
back view

velcro closing pockets
adjustable waistband

I don't tend to make too many clothes for my son so am glad to have made him something that was a bit more effort than a t-shirt.  The waist is adjustable so I'm hoping these will fit for the rest of this summer and next.

see ya later alligator!

9 comments:

  1. The shorts look terrific, especially in action :). I am puzzled by the left over piece, could it be a decorative piece like a carpenter's loop? I can't see it in the magazine photo. It reminds me of having a screw and 3 bolts left over after assembling some toy with fiendish Chinese directions!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks - I'm puzzled too! Yes that could be it - something completely inessential for a kid! Happily leaving it out certainly doesn't affect the "structural integrity" of the shorts. I think sometimes toy and furniture manufacturers slip a few extra bits and bobs in for a laugh :-) - and sometimes too they leave a few of the smallest pieces out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These shorts look fantastic! I was wondering, could the leftover piece be a tab, like sewn in the side seam and held down on the outside decoratively by a button? This is the sort of "cargo" detail that I see on a lot of commercial boyswear, and so I often try to incorporate little features like this in my own sons' gear that I make... or possibly a strip, laid diagonally across a pocket corner, then sewn in with the pocket seams... or some such little extra detail.
    Thank you for your comment on my blog, and yes I found Japan incredibly inspiring from a dressmaking point of view!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look great! There will surely be more heatwaves this summer yet. It is certainly hot enough here. He looks like he loves them. Black is a favourite of my son too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Carolyn, thanks Katherine! Yes, a cool detail is another possibility for the missing link. I have now chucked that piece of fabric away though - so no cool details I'm afraid. Hmmm it seems they get that whole black clothes are cool thing very early...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just wondering if anyone knows where to buy this mag in Australia? I am desperate for tween girl stuff that is remotely trendy and am hoping Patrones has something. LOVE the shorts!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Cha-Cha, I bought my Patrones Ninos issue from http://www.craftymamas.com.au/, which does free shipping in Australia I believe. Their stock changes often so you need to browse regularly. I also went looking at back issues on ebay to confirm which magazines interested me. Just take care not to get Patrones by accident as this is women's patterns, not kids.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for your feedback. I bought the same issue that your boy shorts came from and am making a mock up of the girls shorts style 8. However, there appears to be a pattern problem with the back yoke. The angle of the leg piece appears to be going in the wrong direction and I'm stumped! ARRGGHHH!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just dug out that issue and looked at the pattern cutting plan and I see what you mean - very annoying! I think I would either sew it as is with the yoke narrowest at centre back OR recut it with a correction - but to do that you'd need to imagine the leg piece and yoke as a single pattern piece and then redraft the angle of the yoke before cutting your new pieces. If you have enough fabric try redoing it - if you're unsure try it on muslin fabric first and baste yout new backd in place on the fronts to see if it's right.Good luck, I'm sure you can do it!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...