|Swishy midi skirt B5650|
Say what? Cutting a rug means dancing vigorously and extremely well. I've read that the term originated in the 1930s; when couples danced the jitterbug on carpet it looked like they were cutting it up with their feet. Minnie who's a hep cat now did cut a rug, and it sounds like such a fun thing to do... I want to see that movie now!
|I want to learn the jitterbug! B5650|
Originally the skirt was going to be a pale pink stretch cotton, and the next one may be just that - but there's been so much chambray in the sewing blogosphere, so chambray jumped to the top of my queue. And then I saw a photo of a silver midi skirt in a fashion mag - too easily influenced - so the silver melded with the chambray, via a sporty stripe.
|Utility meets disco, chambray + silver B5650|
|Imperfect hemline - B5650|
- I didn't check the finished measurements for the skirt - should have, and it's a bit tight.
- I hemmed the skirt according to the cutting out line - should have hung it overnight and adjusted it, as I can see in these photos that it's not straight.
- I cut out my double layer silver rectangle, checking grainlines just once - should have double checked as the silver fabrics are very slightly off grain.
- I ignored grainline recommendations for the chambray, instead placing grainline on centre back and parallel to the silver panel in the front. This made my zipper insertion and silver panel insertion easier but may have messed with the hang of the skirt.
|It's what I imagined - B5650|
|Checking out a fence - B5650|
It's a little tight across my winter layer (waist and hips), but it should fit nicely when the warm weather melts the winter layer away.
|Sewing for summer - B5650|
I mentioned some "shouldn't have"s above, but there were a few other changes I made to the straight size 14 pattern that I'm absolutely delighted I made:
- I swapped out the regular zip for a dark blue invisible zip - and yes, it's invisible :).
- I left out the pockets. Side pockets on a hip skimming skirt just add bulk!
- I added a little length, 'cos I'm a little taller than average.
- And not least of all, I added a silver panel down the centre front. Party time!
|No side pockets - B5650|
This skirt has worked out well enough, but I've learnt a lesson along the way.
Just because a pattern terms itself "Fast & Easy" doesn't mean you can skip the basics. Like following grainline recommendations, for example. Like checking finished measurements, for another. Version 2 is going to be by the book, I tell you!
See you soon!
- Gabrielle xx