Friday 22 February 2013

Summer Liberty: Vogue 1308

We're still in summertime down here - and February gets really sticky, so it's not too late for a new sleeveless top in a light and gorgeous Liberty cotton.



I think it works with this black skirt, but I imagine it'd work with a something flared too.

Posing at the side of my house is so embarrassing. My nextdoor neighbours haven't said anything to me yet; I cringe to guess what they must think - perhaps:

          such a waste of the battery on that camera!

but more likely:

          what revolting narcissicm! 

 

Oh dear. Let's move right along.




*** Note to self: Fix mop!

The pattern is Vogue 1308, a summery little neck to ankle jump suit.  Although the idea of a silk jumpsuit seems strangely compelling to me, I have to admit it would be completely impractical for my harried (you know, just the working mother stuff) life. I guess I may still make the jumpsuit one day - perhaps for a retirement disco party? :-) 

Obviously I've only made the loose-fitting (absolutely no darts!) top from the jumpsuit, and I've left off the back ruffle. To turn the bodice into a top I compared the pattern pieces to a RTW top that I like to wear to work. I added about 10cm in length and widened a little from the waist down to account for hips. Very easy.

This fabric is one from my Sydney Sewing Social splurge; a grab for colour from Tessuti's remnant table. 0.85 metres at half the usual takes it to $19.10, minus a 15% discount for the Social means a total of about $16.25. The pattern was on sale at Vogue patterns in the US, and including shipping I guess it cost me around $7... everything else used (thread, bias binding) was a leftover.

The colours look more 'true' below, and you get some of our February sky, in-between downpours:

Sorry for the terrible ironing effort - it looked OK on the hanger in a darkened room, honest!
I've only used Liberty Tana Lawn once before (another Tessuti remnant used in this really imperfect '40s top), so I'm not an addict, but I do know the patterns and colours are spectacular, and I do know the fabric feels beautiful, fine and light, and it seems to work really well in hot weather.

Below you can see the lightness of the fabric - and sewing details on the front ruffle:



Neckline and armholes are finished with (green) bias binding, and since the top is loose enough I skipped the recommended centre back zip and have an opening that will end in a small press stud at the top.

Pre- press stud - not following the pattern instructions.

Next up I need to answer some tricky questions from Hazel (thank you Hazel, I'm getting there but I'm a bit stumped on a couple of them), and share The Skirt From The Dress That Didn't Want To Work.

See you anon, Gabrielle x

30 comments:

  1. That's a lovely, flirty, feminine blouse. Very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha ha! I bet my neighbours think the same thing about me!
    I love your blouse. It looks light as a feather, and the print is gorgeous and modern at the same time. Just so very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crazy isn't it! Unfortunately for me my neighbours have a lovely garden that needs lots of tending - so they probably see a lot of me posing... Thanks, it is a lovely print isn't it.

      Delete
  3. It works brilliantly. This top is pretty, feminine and the neighbours would agree with me. I know they would:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - they may have liked the top, but I'm sure they think I'm pretty odd!

      Delete
  4. I love this! I think I'll be copying this one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The blouse turned out beautifully. The fabric works perfectly for this style. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jana, I'm really happy with it too.

      Delete
  6. This is a really pretty top. I bet it becomes a favourite!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Really pretty. The print is awesome and the blouse so femenine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Merche, Liberty prints are so pretty. Hey, I'll bet you could make some lovely lingerie with a Liberty print!

      Delete
  8. I need to find me some Liberty on special too, I love all the prints and colours but I've never been able to part with my $ and buy some at full price :) You did a great job getting this top out of so little fabric and it looks fabulous on you, very pretty and light looking

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, it's sooo expensive. Some people buy it from Shaukut (sp?) as it's a lot cheaper there; I think you can order from the website. Otherwise remnants are fab!

      Delete
  9. The fabric you have used is really pretty and I like the style. I don't have a problem with my neighbours as they seem to like living in the dark and rarely pull their drapes or maybe I have just traumatised them ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh dear - neighbours! Wouldn't it be good if you could meet / interview them all before you moved house...

      Delete
  10. What a great find and your top is beautiful,gorgeous colours and so perfect for the hot weather we have just had :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sharon, we do seem to be getting a lot of hot days don't we!

      Delete
  11. This is just lovely. Perfect match of fabric to pattern. You look a million bucks. And lol re: your neighbours. My kids think I'm mad too sometimes they sit there and watch me take all these photos of myself...I explain it is about the clothing/sewing etc but I'm not sure they're convinced. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely! Your details and edge finish are enviable.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It is so pretty! And looks wonderful with your black skirt and those awesome red shoes!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This top looks fabulous. I've been eyeing off that print - so gorgeous. I'm sure this will get a ton of wear.

    ReplyDelete
  15. That fabric is absolutely stunning, and the perfect choice for that pretty design :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. So pretty! I love the style and the print. Funny about the neighbors -- I often wonder about that too when I'm posing in our yard!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Very pretty! We are still getting 35 degree days here too, can't wait for autumn. I live across the road from the school so if I take pics outside I have to remember not to do it during lunch break as I get lots of hooting and whistling!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Everything's lovelier in Liberty :) It's gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...